Eastgate Calendar for November
October is the scariest month of all! Come check out our Creepy Composers October 23-31! Woodsongs Coffeehouse this month is Michelle Canning Band. Don’t miss Worship Musician Night the 2nd Tuesday of every month and Open Mic Night the 3rd Wednesday of every month!
October 2nd – Don McLean’s Birthday – 5% off American Made guitars for mentioning.
October 7th – Bald and Free Day – Don’t cover it up with a hat, let your chrome dome shine and mention this for 5% off today!
October 10th – Worship Musician Night – Join us for a great night of fellowship and jamming! There will be cookies!
October 12th – Open Jam/Mic – Come one come all, lets Play! 5 to 8pm
October 13th – Friday the 13th – 5% off Halloween Music. Or 10% off if your name happens to be Jason and you’re wearing a hockey mask.
October 18th – Yamaha Montage Clinic – With Blake Angelos and Steve Hauer from Yamaha. Come learn all about this amazing keyboard. 6 to 7:30 PM.
October 16th – John Mayer’s Birthday – 5% off PRS guitars for mentioning.
October 21st – Sweetest Day – Come buy your sweetie a new guitar, 5% off for mentioning.
October 23rd thru October 31st – Creepy Composers Sale.
October 28th – Open Jam/Mic – 12 to 4pm, come out and play!
Save the date for our Annual Warehouse Sale! Nov 17th, 18th, and 19th.
Step up to Yamaha Dec 2nd.
Fall has arrived in Lexington, KY and the experiences taking place at our Lexington store in October are just as fantastic as a day of racing at Keeneland!
- A Yamaha Music Production Workshop on October 16 featuring the Montage 8 made by Yamaha!
- 3 Hamiltunes LEX gatherings on the First Friday, Third Tuesday, and a special Kids sing-a-long on October 7.
- A one day only discount to celebrate 10-4 Day with 10% off a purchase of four items or more.
- A Last Chance Sale Event on all scratch & dent items in the store from October 19-22.
- Our monthly Worship Musician Night continues on the Second Tuesday at 6:30pm.
- Come see the Disklavier In-Concert Performance featuring Sir Elton John this month!
- For the entire month we are offering a special Piano Trade-Up event for owners of Yamaha P Series keyboards!
- Don’t miss out on our Creepy Composers sale from October 23-31.
This September our Lexington location is busy with many fun-filled events! Click on the calendar below to see a larger version.
- HamiltunesLEX begins in September! We are hosting this sing-a-long event licensed by the creators of Hamilton: The Musical! Come to our recital hall on the First Friday & Third Tuesdays each month for your chance to sing & rap along with the most popular musical in the world! We will be featuring the Yamaha Clavinova, DBR Speakers, and TF Mixing Consoles for all HamiltunesLEX sing-a-long events!
- It’s a busy month for pianists, piano teachers, and piano enthusiasts at our Lexington location! In fact, we’ve moved all our digital pianos right by the front door to celebrate!! On September 5 we are hosing a Piano Workshop titled “Teaching with Technology” which will be presented by Lori Frazier of Yamaha. In addition to 2 piano student recitals this month, we will also host back-to-back performances by Jamie Cullum at our Disklavier In-Concert performances on September 22 & 23. Finally, we are celebrating National Piano Month with a sale event September 14-17 on all new & used acoustic pianos, Clavinovas, Yamaha hybrid pianos, stage pianos, synthesizers, and keyboards!
Exclusive to our Lexington, KY location, is our monthly Yamaha Disklavier Live Experience.
This month join us on Friday, August 25 at 6 p.m.
WHAT IS THE DISKLAVIER LIVE EXPERIENCE?
Come experience some of the most renowned piano performances with the Yamaha Disklavier feature of the month. Imagine sitting at home in the comfort of your own living room watching a concert on TV that features a big band, a classical pianist, or even artists like Elton John or Sarah Mclachlan. Every musical moment is made by the pianist, reproduced live right in front of your eyes on the grand piano. This is what the Disklavier Live Experience at Willis Music Lexington is all about.
Bring a date, or the entire family for this unique experience. Enjoy an evening in our John Thompson Recital Hall with the elegant sounds of a conservatory Yamaha grand piano, a large video projection screen, and a professionally installed sound system. We look forward to sharing this musical moment with you this month.
FEATURED ARTIST FOR AUGUST: CHADWICK JOHNSON
Cabaret Jazz at the Smith Center brings the soul of jazz, elegance of cabaret and talent from the multitude of performers that cross the stage into one sophisticated nightclub. This rebroadcast performance from Cabaret Jazz features singer, songwriter and band leader Chadwick Johnson. Johnson’s soulful approach to music, passion for the classics and versatility amongst multiple genres has earned him praise from the music community, including his 2014 award for “Vegas’ Next Emerging Star” given by The Entertainment Consumers Exchange. Also accredited for his brilliant vocal ability, Johnson’s sincerity, passion and innovative talent are evident as soon as he takes the stage.
BRING A DISKLAVIER EXPERIENCE TO YOUR NEXT EVENT
Contact Matthew Powell (email@example.com) at the Lexington store location to schedule your in-home demonstration or to rent a disklavier for parties, your business, or any special event.
COMING IN SEPTEMBER FOR THE YAMAHA DISKLAVIER LIVE EXPERIENCE …………
Yamaha Artist Jamie Cullum is more than your average jazz musician—describing him as remarkably talented or refreshingly one-of-a-kind is only the tip of the iceberg. Known for his work in the jazz genre, Cullum is also recognized for his strikingly creative way with cover versions of songs from multiple different genres. In this exclusive broadcast, presented by Yamaha Entertainment Group, you will get to experience the versatility and sheer genius of Cullum’s work with cover versions—including his renditions of “Just One of Those Things” (Cole Porter), “The Wind Cries Mary” (The Jimi Hendrix Experience), “Don’t Stop The Music” (Rihanna) and, probably his most well-known, “High and Dry” (Radiohead). This performance also includes pieces from Cullum’s album, The Pursuit.
July is an exciting month at the Lexington, KY location of Willis Music! For YOU we will have multiple sale events! These will be two of the best opportunities of 2017 for you to save money!
July 1-16 we are having a huge amplifier blowout sale! As many as 12 new guitar amplifiers from Blackstar, Fender, and Peavey – for a limited time will have a lower price than what you will find in any other store or even online!
July 20-23 is our annual Create Your Own Discount sale! You can save up to 20% on an item during this 4 day event!
Other events include:
- Our 2nd ever Church Musician Day. This monthly event (second Tuesdays) provides not only good deals, but an opportunity for networking and a jam session! Mark your calendars for July 11!
- Twice during July we will host our regular Yamaha Disklavier In-Concert Performance. You will want to come check out one of these dates: July 8 will be Shades of Sinatra & July 28 will be a performance by John Prouix.
- July 22 will be our second (of three) Drum Corps International (DCI) live streaming events for the summer.
- July 29 we will host both an Ukulele Workshop & Songwriting Workshop with David McLean.
Willis Music was just named by NAMM as a 2017 Top 100 Dealer! This honor is exciting and we want to celebrate with you this summer!
Check out the calendar below to look at the events taking place at our Lexington, KY location this month.
Don’t miss our Amplifier & Guitar Sale Event, happening now until June 16!
This month we have 2 Yamaha Disklavier In-Concert Performances at our store on June 9 & 23.
Plus, we begin a monthly CHURCH MUSICIANS DAY which will take place on the second Tuesday of every month.
To wrap up the month we will host a Live Streaming Event of the Drum Corps International (DCI) competition that evening from Muncie, Indiana. Come enjoy drum corps with a massive pro-quality surround sound system.
YAY FOR SUMMER!
In stock now at your local Willis and Moeller stores for only $999.99! Come in to check it out and bring your iOS device to unlock Cubasis and FM Essentials!
The MX88 music synthesizer is the complete solution for the modern piano player, aspiring music producer and live performer. Boasting a realistic piano touch — thanks to over 100 years of piano manufacturing experience — MX88 features an 88-note weighted keyboard, modern synthesizer technology and easy connectivity to computers and iOS devices.
We are celebrating MUSIC IN OUR SCHOOLS for the entire month of March! Check out all the sales planned in the Lexington Willis Music location this month!
MARCH MONTH LONG EVENTS
Acoustic Drumset Sale: This month we have AMAZING deals on acoustic drumsets by Mapex, Gretsch, Tama, and Yamaha. Plus Roland Electric Drumkits! Two members of our staff (Chris & Casey) are professional percussionists who gig regularly in the Lexington area. Come play and take your favorite drumkit home today!
Musician Accessories Clearance Sale: As Lexington’s One-Stop Music Shop, we carry a lot of product in our store. It’s fair to say that you just can’t see everything in one visit. So this month we are going to make it easier! Look for our clearance table loaded with must see accessories you don’t see everyday!
This week Willis Music will be in the Exhibit Hall at the 2017 Kentucky Music Educators Association (KMEA) Conference in Louisville, KY. Stop by our booth between 9am-5pm on Thurs. & Fri. to say hello and Experience Yamaha! Be sure to ask us about our KMEA PRICING on all items we will have on display.
The Willis Music staff planning to be present include, Chris Teesdale (manager of our Lexington location), Matthew Powell (Keyboard Specialist for our Lexington location), Chase Clark (School Service Representative for Central KY), and Michelle VanSickle (School Service Representative for Northern KY). In addition to other members of our Willis Music team, we welcome representatives from the Yamaha Corporation Keyboard & Pro Music divisions who will join us in our exhibit.
Below is a brief preview of what we will have on display for demonstration:
As the ONLY Yamaha Acoustic Piano dealer in Kentucky we are excited to feature
the Yamaha B2 Acoustic Upright Piano with Silent technology.
This piano is perfect for practice rooms, small performance venues, and even at home.
The CLP-585 Yamaha Clavinova is one instrument in the KMEA Exhibit Hall you will want to hear!
Experience the unparalleled sound quality of a CFX Grand & Bosendorfer.
“Quite simply, the finest CLP Clavinova ever made.”
Woodwind, Brass, and String musicians will find numerous Professional and Intermediate instruments on display at our KMEA booth and available for demonstration!
This includes Yamaha flutes, clarinets, oboe, saxophones,
trumpets, french horns, and trombones!
Plus, we will have Eastman violins, and Yamaha Silent Electric Violins!
Too many instruments to include photographs – so come check this out for yourself at our booth!
Looking for a specific item or want to know more? TEXT US AT 859-474-2664.
The Yamaha TF Rack Digital Mixer is one of the newest and coolest products in the music industry for 2017
and we will have it for you to play with and learn about at KMEA!
This is perfect for any marching band program looking to amplify instruments and voices.
Plus, it works great in a theater or any portable environment!
Be sure to check out the affordable and dynamic Yamaha DBR Loudspeaker Series we will have in our booth at KMEA –
as well as Chauvet Lighting.
We offer free installation for any school environment needing pro audio or lighting!
Guitar has quickly become a large part of music classrooms in Kentucky!
In 2016 we helped fill up a classroom of guitars at Coventry Oak Elementary (Lexington),
George Rogers Clark High (Winchester), and East Jessamine High (Nicholasville).
Come strum a few chords with us this week at our KMEA booth
featuring some popular classroom guitars by Yamaha.
We also have their Transacoustic Guitar on hand for those of you who want to experience something really special on a guitar!
We plan to bring a few Kala Ukuleles with us too! Another great tool for music educators!
In 2016 Yamaha released the Montage synthesizer! It will blow your socks off!
Imagine the MOTIF and DX models combined – and it’s user friendly!
For KMEA we will have the Montage and a CP4 Stage Piano on display.
Percussionists, we’ve made sure to bring some fun items for you at KMEA as well.
A sweet sounding custom made Holloman snare drum, along with two BRAND NEW
concert snare drum sticks by Promark! We love these!
Featuring the Concert One and Concert Two drumsticks. Come give them a try!
And finally…. the Yamaha DTX Multi 12 pad! Used extensively in the Hamilton musical, as well as through out the marching band and indoor percussion activities.
Don’t let the winter weather slow you down this month! We are excited to come to work each day in February to serve YOU in all your musical needs. Come enjoy “The Yamaha Experience” at our Lexington location!
Did you know there is an app out there for certain digital pianos, for electronic drumkits, and for guitar amplifiers? Explore the amazing possibilities these apps create at our Yamaha App Corner in Lexington!
February always brings out one of our biggest sale events of the year! Don’t miss the annual Willis Music Penny Sale, February 23-26! There will be over twenty deals when purchasing one item, you get another item for only a penny! Could you ever imagine getting an guitar clip-on tuner for only $0.01? What about purchasing an ukulele for $0.01?! Even better, how about a Powerwerks speaker for $0.01!! You will find those deals and much more during our Penny Sale event.
Two events you’ll want to add to your personal calendars in February include the GUITAR WORKSHOP with Alan Robinson, on Saturday, February 11 at 4 p.m. This workshop is going to be great for any level of musicianship! In fact, we promise you that its not even necessary that you play guitar in order to attend this free workshop. Learn how to solo over different chord progressions, and gain a few tricks in how to create your own melodies!
Our monthly Disklavier concert on the 4th Friday takes place on February 24 at 6 p.m. Attend a live piano concert, in an intimate setting, with tons of technology making it all happen! It’s a beautiful evening you’ll be happy to experience!
Check out our February calendar of events:
School is back in session and we are in full throttle at Willis Music in Lexington, KY! Be sure to come experience the thrills of September. It will be a fun month!
- Our weekday hours are extended through September 16 to better serve you. We open at 10am Monday through Friday during the first half of the month.
- Earn Double Music Money during Labor Day Weekend! Click here to learn more about how this works! Music Money is free money just for you! It’s also our 4 year anniversary of being at West Tiverton Way!
- During the middle of the month we are honoring all military and first responders with special deals throughout an entire week! Please bring your ID, and browse through our entire store wide inventory to save money this month! Be sure to check out the new Fender Paramount Acoustic Guitars coming in this month.
- Lexington Live, our open mic experience, continues on the 3rd Saturday or each month this fall!
- Our monthly Yamaha Disklavier In-Concert Performance takes place on the 4th Friday of each month. This month we will feature the Tierney Sutton Band. Click here to learn more!
August Events in Lexington
This is going to be an exciting month at the Willis Music Lexington location! It’s BACK TO SCHOOL time which means we will be busy renting orchestra & band instruments, selling recorders for local music classrooms, and much more. In fact, its going to be such an awesome month that we have decided to open an hour earlier Monday through Friday, to better serve you!
Click on the calendar below to see all the performances & sale events planned for August.
Here are two events we are highly anticipating:
Friday, August 12 – We host our 3rd annual Live Streaming Event of the Drum Corps International World Championship Semi-Finals. From 2-10pm we will have video on a large projection screen, plus pro-quality surround sound to give you the ultimate DCI experience. It will be as if you were in the stadium!! The event starts at 2:00pm and ends by 10:30pm. We will have free drinks & popcorn, plus door prizes! Come and go as you please, or get comfortable and join us for the entire day!
Friday, August 26 – Our first ever Yamaha Disklavier In-Concert Performance! Starting at 6pm that evening you can bring a friend and enjoy a piano performance unlike any other! This month we will enjoy world-renowned classical pianist Claire Huangci. We promise you’ll love this!
Willis Music was recently named by NAMM as a Top 100 Dealer for 2016! We are honored to be recognized in this way, and so this month we want to celebrate with you our customers!
During July at our Lexington location we have 5 straight weekends of events:
- July 1-4: Our 4th of July Sale event this year will feature products made right here in the USA! Get 10% OFF the current price of all American made products! This includes Fender guitars, some of which we recently marked down for the summer. That’s an additional savings we are excited to give to you.
- July 7-10: It’s a summer blowout (the good kind!) on guitars, amplifiers, and pro audio equipment. Don’t miss out on first dibs for the best deals of the summer!
- July 15: The Yamaha Experience is the event of the year at Willis Music! You will want to be present whether you are a Music Educator or Music Enthusiast. Click here to learn more!
- July 21-24: We move our clearance items to the front of the store, so it’s less work for the gear to go home with you! We need to make room for new product, and we want to help you find the perfect purchase!
- July 28-31: Our annual MAKE YOUR OWN DEAL event is the final opportunity of the summer to find a HUGE DEAL on new or used gear! Everything in the store is on sale. The more items you buy, the better the deals!
Some of the Yamaha Corporation team present will be:
Summer has arrived in Lexington, KY. At our Willis Music location on West Tiverton Way, June is jam packed with great workshops, recitals, and sale events!
Here are some of the highlights from the June Calendar of Events (Click on the calendar for a larger version!):
- Our Summer Clearance Event begins on guitars, amplifiers, percussion, and pro audio equipment. This lasts all month long.
- D’Addario presents a Clarinet & Saxophone clinic, featuring Krista Weiss, on Saturday, June 4.
- June 10-19 will be a unique Father’s Day Sale Event you won’t want to miss!
- Our Open Mic experience Lexington Live takes place on the third Saturday of each month!
- Make Music Day is June 21. It will be a fun day to visit Willis Music, and we will be featuring and publizing local bands all day long.
- Piano Teachers will want to be present for our summer Piano Workshop featuring Carolyn Miller on June 28.
SAVE THE DATE: Mark your calendars for July 15 and join us for Lexington’s Yamaha Experience Event here at Willis Music! 7 Yamaha representatives will be presenting the best of their products in our store all afternoon. Marching & Concert Percussion, Pianos, Clavinova, Keyboards & Arrangers including the new Montage, Band & Orhestra instruments, guitars, and drums will all be featured!
Our Lexington location has a summer full of
Music Education opportunities on its’ schedule.
Save these dates!
Saturday, June 4 – D’Addario Woodwind Workshop
Clinician, Krista Weiss, will present a workshop from 11am-3pm on clarinet & saxophone
fundamentals & equipment. Plus you can come test out D’Addario products for yourself!
Tuesday, June 28 – Carolyn Miller Piano Workshop
Composer, performer, and piano teacher, Carolyn Miller, offers a morning full of
piano pedagogy tips and best practices from 9am-Noon. You won’t want to miss this!.
Friday, July 15 – Yamaha Music Educator Experience
Music Educators: Join us from Noon-5pm for a day of musical fireworks, as a team of
Experts from the Yamaha Corporation share their products made to enrich your life!
Friday, August 12 – DCI Semi-Finals Live Streaming Event
For the third straight year we invite you to pull up a chair, bring a friend, and enjoy Drum
Corps International live on a big screen and in a thrilling surround sound from 2-10:30pm.
Saturday, September 10 – Young Percussionists Workshop
Created for 5-8 graders percussionists, this workshop featuring local percussion educators
will focus on fundamentals & musicianship for concert percussion & drumset from 1-5pm.
All of these events are free of charge and will take place in the John Thompson Recital Hall at Willis Music.
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
View the calendar to find out all the exciting things happening during the month of May at our Lexington store location:
Spring has arrived! Horses are about to begin galloping around race tracks, flowers & trees are blossoming, and it won’t be long before swimming pools open and school’s take their summer break!
There is no break for us though! At Willis Music we thrive on serving YOU each and every day!
Here at the Lexington location we’ve recently made some changes. Our guitar department has taken a new shape, and the opportunity of jamming with your buddies is a must! We are now also Kentucky’s only dealer of the full line of Yamaha Acoustic & Digital Pianos! Our showroom is stocked full and more beautiful than ever. Come see for yourself!
Here are a few of the things we are excited about in Lexington this month:
- Every Day! – Celebrate International Guitar Month with us and SAVE! Many of our guitars have already dropped in price! Get additional savings this month – it changes with each day of the week in April:
- Mondays: Ibanez Electric Guitars are electrifying the sales floor this month. SAVE 10% and get a 10′ RHINO GUITAR CABLE for FREE!
- Tuesday: Fender Telecasters on SALE! 10% OFF in-stock Tele’s! Plus get two free sets of D’Addario NYXL Strings!
- Wednesday: Acoustic Guitars by Fender, Luna, Cordoba, Yamaha, and Seagull are 10% OFF!
- Thursday: Bass Guitars are stocked full and begging for a new home! 10% OFF PLUS A FREE STAND!
- Friday: Save an EXTRA 15% on all Scratch & Dent, Discontinued, and Used Guitars!
- Saturday: Buy a Martin Guitar and get a FREE Strap & D’Addario Humiditrak System! Click here to learn more about this brand new product in 2016.
- Sunday: Fender Stratocasters are 10% OFF this day each week of April! We will throw in a FREE GIG BAG TOO!
- Every Day! – It’s Jazz Appreciation Month so learn a new jazz tune or two this month! All Jazz Music is on SALE just for you! Get 15% off any in-stock jazz genre music book in April!
- Every Thursday Evening – Group Guitar Classes meet 4-8pm with David McLean.
- Buy a guitar in April and get free tuition for the summer group guitar class!
- Saturday, April 16 -Our monthly open-mic experience called LEXINGTON LIVE is from 3-5pm.
- Sunday, April 17 – Local music educator Kim Whitehead holds her Student Recital from 3-4:30pm.
- Saturday, April 30 – Live Accordian Concert presented by the world renowned Tony Lovello at 3pm.
- COMING SOON – You won’t want to miss our Yamaha Piano Open House Event! Date to be announced. This will be the biggest event ever at our store! Guest artists, food & drinks, clinicians, and much fanfare!
Congrats to St. Joe’s Drama Club on the purchase of their new mixer. For years, Willis Music has sponsored the St. Joseph Drama Club and we want to congratulate them on the purchase of their new Yamaha TF5 mixer. Patrons that have been seeing the plays for years automatically noticed the difference in sound just from the mixer!
Haven’t heard about Yamahas new TF series mixers? Here you go!
Yamaha has always made it a mission to stay in touch with the needs of sound engineers worldwide. The outcome is evident in the success of the recent CL and QL series digital mixing consoles, and the flagship RIVAGE PM10. The key to success has always been in supporting the user’s creativity. Creativity is most effective when unrestricted, and now Yamaha has created a new digital mixing console that gives the user’s intuition even freer rein. TouchFlow Operation™ introduced in the TF series consoles allows the user to respond to the music and artists on stage with unprecedented speed and freedom, taking live sound reinforcement to a new level of refinement. With the TouchFlow Operation interface optimized for touch panel control, experienced engineers as well as newcomers to the field will find it easier than ever to achieve the ideal mix. Recallable D-PRE™ preamplifiers support sound quality that will satisfy the most discerning professional ears, while advanced live recording features and seamless operation with high-performance I/O racks give these compact digital mixers capabilities that make them outstanding choices for a wide range of applications. Experience the intuitive control and creative freedom that a truly evolved digital console can provide.
Check out the line up here!
This Yamaha G1 (5’3″) grand is in a beautiful high-polish mahogany finish. At 5’3″ in length, it is large enough to provide a full and robust tone while occupying a relatively small footprint. It could quite possibly be the ideal professional-grade piano for a home setting. It’s a very satisfying musical instrument, with a characteristically Yamaha tone: Crisp and clear, but with a deep and resonant bass that provides ample body.
This Yamaha (Japan) built Story & Clark is a work horse piano. Previously used as a choral rehearsal instrument this instrument would be a solid rehearsal instrument. It is a blonde walnut finish. Call or stop-in today!
This Japanese-built professional upright U1. Refurbished to like-new. The Yamaha U1 is an industry standard instrument. With a responsive touch, wide dynamic range and good sustain, the professional series Yamaha U1 upright has become an established favorite among institutions, tutors, students and in the home. At 48″ tall this instrument provides a solid tone.
This Japanese-built Yamaha U3 is now available for sale. It has been refurbished and is in excellent condition. It is professional upright at 52″ and begging to be played.
This Yamaha P-22 in our Kenwood Gallery was built in 1984. It is a solid piano in an attractive oak finish. It comes with a bench and is value priced at $2,500.
The Yamaha U1 now available at The Willis Music Co. @ Florence
These units are previously owned and refurbished university grade Studio Upright Pianos, straight from Japan. We buy them and present them for sale at our stores at half the price of a new one. Huge savings and amazing value accompany great sound and workmanship. Stop by one of our stores and check one out to see why they are the #1 choice of Asian schools, teachers and students alike. For an appointment, contact Frank Raymore at Willis Music Florence Store #859-525-6050
Open hole flutes are the step up that every student player is looking forward to, but the change in playing styles can cause a few surprises if you aren’t ready. Here are some tips to help make this transition smooth, fun and musical. Our Yamaha Allegro flutes are amazing, and every band director raves about their quality and sound. We also have in-store lessons all through the year.
(1) Hold the flute in the proper position, out to your right, parallel to the floor, with elbows away from your body. Sit up straight.
(2) Cradle flute loosely in your hands with fingers resting gently on the keys
(3) As you press keys to form the notes, make sure your fingers completely cover the holes, but don’t pinch too tightly. This is the key to getting the proper tone. Begin by practicing notes that use the least fingers, such as B. Work your way down to D adding fingers as you get a good tone on each note.
(4) As an alternative, you can purchase plugs that slip into the holes in the keys (we have these in our store). These plugs are made from plastic and will close the holes so the instrument plays like a regular flute. They are helpful when learning to play an open-hole flute.
(5) Practice playing with plugs in. Remove one plug at a time, and practice this way until you can comfortably produce the note corresponding with the removed plug. Remove the next plug and practice until comfortable. Proceed until all plugs are removed.
The post Open Hole Flute Tips appeared first on Willis Music – Louisville.
Musicians play music because we love it, but everyone has a beginning point and all of us work to improve our performances. Below are some easy ideas to make your time on a sax better & more fun!
Number 1: Post your fingering chart where you see it on a daily basis
For me, there are always one or two very high notes that I forget if they aren’t in the music pieces I am working on. I have posted my fingering chart by my bed and see it before I fall asleep at night. If you don’t have a fingering chart, buy one! They are small, inexpensive and readily available at most music stores.
Number 2: Wet your reed before you play
The first thing I do when I pull my case out is pop the reed I want to use in my mouth, and keep it there while I assemble my saxophone and sheet music. This helps your reed vibrate more efficiently right when you start playing.
Number 3: Pick a position and stay with it
Depending on who taught you to play the saxophone, you either hold your instrument between your legs or to the right side of your legs. There are merits to both methods, and it is completely personal preference. Try both methods, and then pick the one that you prefer. But either way, stick with it!
Changing your position constantly will hurt your ability to play. This is because you will be concentrating on how to reach that difficult fingering through a different hand position instead of a perfect vibrato or even tone. When you switch positions, the angles change. This changes everything!
Number 4: Posture
Remember when you first started classes or lessons, one of the first things you learned was to sit up straight? We’re back to basics for this tip. By sitting up straight, your diaphragm has more room to expand. This means the ability for longer and more powerful notes, and stronger vibrato and tone.
Number 5: Tighten your Ligature
Have you ever gotten that awful bubbly noise of water under your reed? It will completely destroy any piece you try to play, and sometimes it isn’t possible to stop in the middle of a piece. Turning your ligature joint an extra half turn can make all the difference in the world.
Number 6: Make sure your reed is the right level of hardness
Have you ever stopped playing for about a month, and you start to play with your favorite old reed, and you’re like “Wow! I don’t remember having to push this hard last time I played”? And that is because you didn’t! Your embouchure (the way you handle the mouthpiece and reed in your mouth or the muscles controlling those motions) has grown weaker over the month you’ve been away. On the flip side, if you’ve been playing more than usual your embouchure will have grown stronger. Make sure you get the strength of reed that corresponds with your strength for optimum tone!
Number 7: Use a neck strap
Using a neck strap, especially when you’re playing standing up, is crucial. Distributing the weight off of your thumbs enables your fingers to move more swiftly and efficiently.
Number 8: Cite-read a piece before you start learning it
There are special competitions for cite-reading, for both individuals and bands. Being able to look at a piece of music and run through it a few times, and then being able to play it fairly well shows musical prowess. Cite-reading sometimes, even if you don’t want to compete in it, is a great way to stretch your music reading muscles. I tend to cite-read a piece of music that I am going to learn to play, before I start breaking it down measure by measure. I’ve noticed a dramatic increase in my music reading ability since starting this. To top it off, once you get the hang of cite-reading it is really fun!
Number 9: Play in an area with good lighting
There is nothing worse than playing in an area with subpar lighting. You can’t see the notes right. Playing in the sunshine or in a well light area just improves your mood. I play below a window and have a lamp by the window for playing at night.
Number 10: Invest in high quality reeds
Have you ever had a reed splinter in your mouth? It hurts and tastes really awful. Since then, I have always purchased a higher quality reed. Originally it was to avoid another “Fantastical Exploding Reed” but my tone quality has improved so much. And please, none of those fiberglass reeds. Only reeds made of cane or other natural materials for better tone and control!
The post 10 Tips to Improve Your Sax Playing appeared first on Willis Music – Louisville.
It’s pretty much impossible to play a brass instrument through headphones. That’s a big deal, and until now there hasn’t been a good way to do it without bothering other people.
Yamaha’s SILENT Brass system isn’t new, but the latest evolution opens it up to a wider audience. The idea is this: stick a mute in the instrument so it can be barely heard, then replace the sound with synthesis so the player can still hear through headphones. Traditionally, there are two variables where this goes wrong. The first is the compactness of the physical apparatus. Make it too big, and the system is inconvenient (or can even throw the horn off-balance). The second issue is sound.
Yamaha has been a pioneer in the synthesis field. They were the first to bring physical modeling to market in a real product. Ironically, the breadth of products the company offers has sometimes distracted from some of their best research, but when it comes to replicating brass sound, they stand alone.
Get the two ingredients right – make the physical bit unnoticeable and the sound seem like the real thing – and you can have a headphone experience that approaches playing the instrument all-out. The sound is amazing.
- A mute with a built-in pickup both keeps the instrument quiet and registers your playing as accurately as possible – this component has been made both smaller and more lightweight
- “Brass Resonance Modeling” simulates the sound of the instrument, here greatly improved in quality
- A compact “Personal Studio” unit has a headphone jack, plus an input in case you want to play along with a recording.
Getting excited? Click the pic above for a demo, or better yet come by give a SILENT Brass a run for yourself. You’ll be knocked out!
The post Yamaha’s SILENT Brass Delivers Pure Sound appeared first on Willis Music – Louisville.
Are you wanting to purchase an acoustic guitar? How about an electric guitar? An amp? Or your first effects pedal?
Here are 8 Reasons why you should buy your guitar here at Willis Music in Lexington:
1. All guitars are Detailed and Inspected.
2. All guitars necks are Inspected and Adjusted by our guitar product specialists.
3. All guitar frets are Inspected and Polished by our guitar product specialists.
4. Adjustable Bridge Intonated
5. All electronics professionally inspected
6. We give you the Manufacturers Warranty EXTENDED for 1 Full Year! (Excludes Wood and Finish Cracks)
7. We provide a Free “How To” Class for First Time Buyers**
This is a $119 Value that is INCLUDED for Free with your Guitar purchase at Willis Music!
** The First Time Buyer’s Guitar Care Class takes places on the First Saturday of every month at 10:30 A.M. EST. Classes are conducted by our guitar product specialists.
This class is a $39 value. Learn how to:
– Tune your guitar
– Care for your guitar
– Change strings
You will also be able to participate in a Question & Answer session, and receive a FREE polish cloth and a FREE set of strings! (Bass set for 65% OFF!)
The new store is really starting to take shape here in West Chester! If you’re a drummer and you haven’t stopped in yet please do. We have a much larger selection than we ever have. We have cymbals from Sabian, Zildjian, Meinl, Amedia, and Dream. Featuring drum sets from Tama, Gretsch, Mapex, and Ddrum. Electronic kits from Roland and Yamaha. Percussion from LP, Toca, and Meinl. Heads from Remo and Evans. We have all your percussion needs covered.
Stop in and check it out and don’t forget about our “All About Drum Days” from Feb. 28 – March 2 and our Saturday “Scene” from 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM sponsored by Evans. Free Swag to the first 50 customers from Evans Drum Heads.
The weather around here has been kinda cold, snowy & icy lately, and that can make playing your horn a lot less fun. Here are some tips to help you tackle frozen facial muscles when you arrive at rehearsals and concerts:
Tip #1: Wait
Once you come in from the cold at your rehearsal or concert venue, wait. Open your case, but don’t get your instrument out to start warming up straight away. Instead, allow for your body to re-adjust to the warmth, and for the blood to start pumping again to your extremeties, and facial muscles.
Tip #2: Keep your mouthpiece warm
Instead of allowing your mouthpiece to freeze in your instrument case, try keeping your mouthpiece in a pocket close to your body.
Tip #3: A face warmer?
When you arrive at your rehearsal or concert venue, remove your mouthpiece from your pocket or instrument case, and run it under hot water. Once it is hot, press your mouthpiece gently against your cheeks. The warmth from the hot mouthpiece will help thaw frozen facial muscles more quickly.
Tip #4: Cloth and plastic
If you are to be performing outside don’t forget a thin pair of gloves! Some pros invest in a plastic mouthpiece, so that may be of interest as well.
Tip #5: Lip balm
Use a lip balm before you go out in the cold, and after playing. This will help you to prevent sore, dry, and cracked lips. Avoid medicated balms made for cold sores since these can actually dry your lips out.
Written by “Mohawk” Mike, Louisville Store Manager/Arctic Studies Hobbyist
The post Tired of the Cold Weather Making Playing Music No Fun? Click Here for Great Tips From Willis Music! appeared first on Willis Music – Louisville.
The shopping season is upon us. We have a large inventory of used pianos. ALL used pianos will be at drastically reduced prices this day only. We open promptly a 6 AM! Come out and select your instrument before it is taken. Financing and Delivery is easily available. Used American Built Pianos starting below $1000! Eastgate Willis Music Only!
GRANDS, UPRIGHTS, AND DIGITALS (YAMAHA, CASIO, ROLAND, KORG)
Steinway & Sons, Baldwin (American Built), Yamaha, Petrof, Hallet, Davis & Co. Kohler & Campbell, Cable, Story & Clark.
LARGE SELECTION AND UNPRECEDENTED DEALS!!!
BLACK FRIDAY ONLY!!!
EASY FINANCING AVAILABLE!!!
CLEARLY MARKED WITH NO-HAGGLE PRICING!!!
Thats right – Triple Rebates!!
On November 29, 2013, we will be offering triple rebates on Yamaha band instruments. This will be the best time to buy a step up or pro instrument!! Turn your rebate into $150 or $300! This is a special event just for Willis Music. Call today to schedule your appointment to get the best selection. 859-525-6050
STEP UP to YAMAHA
Triple Rebate Events! These Locations and Dates ONLY!
November 16th, 2013Willis Music Louisville Hurstbourne Pkwy at I64 Louisville, KY 502-426-1818 Willis Music Lexington 130 W. Tiverton Way Lexington, KY 859-273-4063
November 23rd, 2013Willis Music Tri-County Mall 2nd Floor near Sears Cincinnati, OH 513-671-3288
November 29th, 2013Willis Music Florence Next to hhgregg on Mall Rd. Florence, KY 859-525-6050
December 14th, 2013Willis Music Kenwood Kenwood Galleria next to Half Price Books Cincinnati, OH 513-252-0445
December 21st, 2013Willis Music Eastgate Mall Next to Sears Cincinnati, OH 513-752-6341
For more details on how you could earn triple rebates on your Yamaha Step Up purchase, call or visit the Willis Music closest to you!
Click HERE for locations.
In case you didn’t know it, Willis Music is now your Yamaha Band Headquarters!
That’s right, just in time for the best time of year… the Step Up to Yamaha event. From now until the end of the year, Yamaha has a mail in rebate for you, but for 1 special day we get to do DOUBLE rebates from Yamaha AND Willis wants to make it TRIPLE! Thats right, a TRIPLE REBATE!! November 29, 2013 is the BEST time to buy your Yamaha Band instrument. Stop in today and throw it in layaway, get it out that day and still receive the TRIPLE rebate!! This is the sale you have been waiting for!
Willis Music in Louisville is well known for our great selection of guitars, band instruments, drums, amplifiers and PA equipment, but after hearing your requests we’ve added something new to our offerings: Yamaha acoustic pianos!
There were several options to consider when we decided to bring acoustic pianos in, but the one closest to our mind was satisfying the needs in the very best way possible. The good news is that since Yamaha was hands down the most asked for brand, we chose to add the U1 and U3 uprights to our store. The better news is that we’re bringing in used pianos that are so beautifully refinished you’d think they were brand new, except for the price!
Please come in & give your fingers and ears a treat- you’ll be very glad you did!
The post Yamaha Acoustic Pianos are Here! appeared first on Willis Music – Louisville.
Not much more to say… best prices in town on the coolest instruments from Orange, Gibson, EVH, Mesa/Boogie, Fender, Yamaha, Selmer, Blackstar, Mapex, Charvel, Gretsch, Martin and so many more AND a free DVD on top! Visit June 15-17 to take advantage!
The post Free DVDs This Weekend! appeared first on Willis Music – Louisville.
Eastman’s violins are works of art you get to hold. The tone makes you want to close your eyes as the music you make takes you to places a car never could. Whether you’re a new musician or seasoned player, an Eastman instrument will improve your playing simply because the stunning attention to every detail makes each violin a singular example of inspiration. You deserve this… try one today!
Click the pic for a cool violin/guitar jam session video & contact us at 502-426-1818 if you’d like to sign up for violin/fiddle lessons!
The post The Sound of Your Art appeared first on Willis Music – Louisville.
Expansion continues at the Willis Music Superstore with our new PA room. Big, loud & loaded with gear, this room will make choosing the perfect system for your individual need a breeze. We’ll have single speakers and amps as well as full systems from Peavey, QSC, Fender, Yamaha, Kustom and more all ready for testing at your fingertips, as well as cabling, adapters & accessories. Here are the first pictures… more to come!
The post The New PA Room Is Coming! appeared first on Willis Music – Louisville.
The sounds of the organ bellowing through Great American Ballpark just got better thanks to Willis Music and Yamaha. The Cincinnati Reds now have a new Tyros 4 keyboard to help fans have an even more fun experience while watching the Reds’ games.
West Chester, OH 45069 513.777.7474
Willis Music Kenwood
Cincinnati, OH 45236 513.252.0445